Around 12 percent of long-term disability claims are due to fractures, sprains, and strains of muscles and ligaments. While injuries like these are frustrating and can impair your ability to work, they’re not always permanent. But what if they are?
That’s where catastrophic injury lawyers come into play.
Keep reading to learn more about catastrophic injury attorneys and how they may be able to help you.
Understanding Catastrophic Injuries
When we hear the term “catastrophic injury,” it’s natural to envision severe and life-altering harm. But what exactly does it entail? Simply put, a catastrophic injury refers to any type of injury that has profound and long-lasting effects on an individual’s physical or mental well-being.
These injuries often result in permanent disabilities, leaving victims with significant challenges in their daily lives. Catastrophic injuries can include brain injuries, spinal cord damage, severe burns, and amputations. They can have a wide and devastating impact, extending far beyond the initial trauma and the injured person.
They can also impact the injured person’s family members, who often need to adapt to new roles as caregivers or take on other responsibilities, including:
- Navigating medical treatments
- Participating in the rehabilitation processes
- Dealing with financial hardships caused by mounting medical bills
In addition, coping with these types of injuries can lead to emotional distress and conditions such as:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Changes in personality
Understanding the comprehensive nature of catastrophic injuries is crucial for both victims and their loved ones when seeking legal recourse for justice and compensation.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries can happen for many reasons and have life-changing consequences. These injuries often occur in accidents or incidents that cause severe physical harm, ultimately impacting a person’s ability to function normally.
One common cause of catastrophic injuries is automotive accidents. The sheer force involved in a collision can result in:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Multiple broken bones
Workplace accidents are another major cause of these devastating injuries with 2.3 million workplace accidents occurring worldwide each year. Over 84% of all non-fatal workplace injuries involve slips, trips, falls, overexertion, bodily reactions, and contact with objects and equipment.
Construction sites, factories, and industrial settings carry inherent risks. If these are not properly managed, they can lead to amputations, crush injuries, or chemical burns.
It’s important to work with an attorney who understands the nature of workplace accidents and knows how to navigate the complexities.
Medical malpractice cases can lead to catastrophic injury claims. This could include the following:
- Surgical errors
- Misdiagnosis leading to delayed treatment
- Medication mistakes
Any of these actions can have life-changing consequences for patients.
Toxic exposure cases can involve dangerous chemicals, mold, lead, or other hazardous substances. These cases are often complex and expensive to litigate, but they may be necessary to hold a negligent party liable for the harm they caused.
Manufacturers have a duty to ensure their products are safe for consumers. When that duty is breached by negligence or carelessness, those affected may be able to file a product liability claim. These cases also include failure to provide proper warnings about potential risks associated with the product.
Premises Liability Accidents
Property owners have a duty to maintain a safe environment for visitors, tenants, and passersby. When a safe environment isn’t maintained it can lead to the following:
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Inadequate security resulting in assault or robbery
- Dog bites and other animal attacks
- Swimming pool drownings
When Should You Hire Catastrophic Injury Lawyers?
If you or someone you love has suffered a catastrophic injury, it is essential to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Here are some key indicators that hiring a catastrophic injury lawyer may be necessary.
- Severity of the Injury – If the injury is life-altering and results in permanent disability or disfigurement, it falls under the category of catastrophic. These injuries need a lot of medical treatment, ongoing care, and money to cover expenses.
- Liability Disputes – If multiple parties dispute who is responsible for the accident, an experienced lawyer can help. They can guide you through complicated legal proceedings.
- Insurance Company Tactics – Unfortunately, insurance companies may try to minimize compensation payouts for catastrophic injuries. A skilled attorney will work to get you money for your injuries, bills, and future needs.
- Expert Testimony Needed – Catastrophic injury cases often require expert testimony from medical professionals and other specialists to establish causation and quantify damages accurately. An attorney with experience handling these types of cases will have access to a network of qualified experts who can properly evaluate your claim.
- Statute of Limitations – It’s crucial to act promptly when filing a personal injury lawsuit because each state has its own statute of limitations. This is the time limit within which legal action must be initiated after an accident occurs.
Damages for Catastrophic Injuries
When it comes to catastrophic injuries, the damages can be overwhelming. These types of injuries often result in extensive physical, emotional, and financial losses for the victims and their families. In legal terms, damages refer to the compensation awarded to the injured party as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing.
The damages for catastrophic injuries take into account various factors. This could include the following:
- Medical expenses including past and future costs of treatments
- Rehabilitation programs
- Assistive devices like wheelchairs or prosthetics
- Lost wages or loss of earning capacity due to disability or inability to work
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Emotional distress caused by trauma and mental anguish
It is important to note that every case is unique; therefore, determining the appropriate amount of damages can be complex.
Find the Attorney You Need in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans Area
Catastrophic injuries can have life-altering consequences for individuals and their families. These types of injuries often require extensive medical treatment, rehabilitation, and long-term care. When faced with such devastating circumstances, it is crucial to seek the help of experienced catastrophic injury lawyers.
Do you need help with your case in the Baton Rouge or New Orleans area? Contact Talbot, Carmouche & Marcello today to discuss your case and find the representation you need.